Drying Flats

Drying Flats

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Here we go again!


flatschallengebutton125.png

Following last year's rewarding and amazing success with the Flats Challenge I am excited to announce that I am gearing up again for this year's challenge.  This time with a much older child, which brings its own set of unique issues.

As you may recall, the challenge is aimed at bringing awareness to the benefits of cloth diapering.  Families who are tight on funds do not have to spend hundreds of dollars on disposable diapers for their babies.  In all actuality, a baby can be diapered from birth to potty training for less than $50 with the use of flat diapers.

With this challenge, I will only be able to  use my flat diapers and covers.  No pocket diapers and no prefolds. I will also not have the use of my washer or dryer.  The point of that goes hand in hand with the objective of this challenge.  Not all families, low income or not, have access to a washer or dryer.  Others cannot afford to use a laundromat.  The diapers will be hand washed in a camper style bucket and line dried outside on nice days and inside on rainy days.

This may seem silly and pointless to some, but it is a good lesson in how little you need to survive.  After the first day or two during last years challenge, I realized that hand washing diapers is 100% doable and I even got into a nice rhythm of washing and drying during naps.

I will be blogging my progress, my good days and my bad days for the entire week.

Stay tuned!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment