Drying Flats

Drying Flats

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Flats and Handwashing Challenge Day 4

Today is day four of the Flats and Handwashing Challenge hosted by Dirty Diaper Laundry.  For 7 days I will be using only flat cloth diapers and hand washing them in an effort to prove that cloth diapering can be affordable and accessible to all.  

Today we are discussing handwashing.  I honestly don't mind handwashing.  I have my 10 gallon rubber bucket, my plunger and my rubber gloves.  I like to plunge for a little bit and then get my hands in there and really get things moving.  The worst part of the handwashing for me is when the water splashes me in the face when I get carried away.  Also, the wringing out of the diapers makes my hands cramp, too.  

The weather finally cooperated with me today.  Despite being very overcast this morning, it wasn't raining.  I decided to do a load of diapers and get them on the line a.s.a.p.  They could stay out all day and take as long as they needed to dry.


After a very active playdate, I came home with more dirty flats than I had expected to use.  The sun was shining and the morning load of flats were dry.  I washed the rest of her diapers and hung them out to dry

That is when I noticed what I thought was smoke from my dryer vent (it didn't occur to me right away that I wasn't even using my dryer).  But this mystery smoke was everywhere in the air.  A look up into my tall pine trees was where I found the answer.  POLLEN.  An absurdly disgusting amount of pollen. So much pollen that it actually looked like smoke.  Think about when you are putting on make-up and you rub your blush brush into your favorite blush.  Then you tap off the excess.  That excess dusting that comes off the brush times a million blush brushes and you will have one is on just ONE of the trees.  I have 6 of these said trees.  One of which is holding up my clothesline.

Below are a few pictures I took of the trees and the mess on my deck after one day.

 The pollen smoke actually makes this pic look cloudy.

 A close up of the pollen bunches.

 My poor patio furniture.

Gross.

So now here is my predicament.  Pollen smoke aside, it is a gorgeous day.  I'd hate to waste the sunshine on these diapers by having them indoors.  Plus it is supposed to rain again tomorrow :-(  Should I rewash all her diapers now because they are most likely covered in some pollen?  Should I wait to see if she has a reaction?  Even though I don't mind washing them by hand, that is a LOT of work and my drying rack can't hold all the diapers.

HELP!

No comments:

Post a Comment