Drying Flats

Drying Flats

Friday, May 25, 2012

Flats and Handwashing Challenge Day 5

Today is day five of the Flats and Handwashing Challenge hosted by Dirty Diaper Laundry.  For 7 days I will be using only flat cloth diapers and hand washing them in an effort to prove that cloth diapering can be affordable and accessible to all.

Today we are discussing the tips and tricks we have learned during the week.  This has been a rainy and humid week in New England.  Today is Friday and so far we have had only ONE day of sun.  This makes the Flats Challenge a real CHALLENGE.  Since it takes quite a bit longer for the flats to dry indoors, I have come up with a system that seems to keep my head above water, so to speak.  I have had to handwash twice a day.  Once at night with all the days dirty diapers, and once in the early to late morning with any soiled flats that have built up.

At night, after i wring out my last flat and lay it on my drying rack, I carry the entire rack over to my dehumidifier and place the rack alongside it.  During the night they flats dry perfectly and I am able to fold them first thing in the morning.

For the late morning wash, I have the same set up next to the dehumidifier with my freshly washed flats.  These will take all day to dry.  Once they are ready I am able to fold them and have them on standby in case of emergency.

This system has worked for me during this dreary week.  I will be honest, it is a lot of work and I don't know how long I would be able to keep it up if I didn't have access to my dryer on the rainy days.  It isn't usually this dreary in New England, so the line drying option is always my best bet.

I am so in love with flats again, that using them will be a breeze once the challenge is over and I can use them in my dryer when it rains.  I cannot believe how much better my daughter does in them.  Our EC practice has gone through the roof this week.  I am much more vigilant about checking her and getting her on the toilet more often.  She is starting to wait until she is on the toilet to go! This milestone alone is worth all the handwashing this week!!


1 comment:

  1. Awesome news on the EC! Thats a totally exciting side effect to flats. :)

    ReplyDelete