Drying Flats

Drying Flats

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Flats and Handwashing Challenge Day 3

Today is day three of the Flats and Handwashing Challenge hosted by Dirty Diaper Laundry.  For 7 days I will be using only flat cloth diapers and hand washing them in an effort to prove that cloth diapering can be affordable and accessible to all.  

I handwashed my diapers last night and dried them on my rack for the second night in a row.  It had been raining for two straight days.  Finally today the sun started to peek its head out so I ran to hang them out on the line.  I didn't care that they were almost dry already.  I just love the way they smell coming back in from the line.

After three days, I have rekindled my love affair with my flats.  I still can't remember why I stopped using them in the first place.  Not only are they super simple to use, they DRY so much faster than prefolds or pocket diapers.  The most wonderful bonus is that it has done wonders for ECing with my baby.  I can't explain why, but she stays dry between naps, and drier for longer periods of time during the day wearing the flats.  With prefolds and pockets, by the time I got her on the changing table she was already wet and she would writhe in agony to get off the potty because she didn't have to go anymore.  This entire week she has been much more cooperative using the toilet.  She actually smiles with success!

How do I use my flats?  I use two flats and one Thirsties cover at all times.  I diaper bag fold one flat and double up with a pad folded flat as an insert.  On day 1 of this challenge, I was using the diaper bag fold for the first time, and didn't know to use the pad folded flat as a doubler.  That day my baby soaked through 2 pairs of pants, her only cover and 4 flats.  Since then, I have learned my lesson, and I'm never looking back!

No comments:

Post a Comment